Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice
Version Date: January 1, 2020
Your privacy is important to us. This notice sets out how DocuSign, Inc. and its affiliates (“us,” “our,” or “we”) collect and use personal information from job applicants or candidates (collectively, “you”) and/or when you access or use our careers websites, including docusign.com/company/careers (the “Sites”).
This notice does not cover your use of DocuSign’s services as a consumer or to any third-party websites and apps that you may use, including any linked to in our Sites. You should review the terms and policies for third-party websites and apps before clicking on any links.
We recommend that you read this notice in full to ensure you are fully informed. However, if you want to access a particular section of this notice, please refer to the below list of contents.
- How We Collect Personal Information
- Use of Personal Information
- Personal Information Sharing
- Retention of Personal Information
- Your Choices
- Your Privacy Rights
- How We Protect Your Personal Information
- Changes to This Policy Notice
- How to Contact Us
We process your personal information for the purposes of fulfilling open job positions and recruiting job candidates. See Section 2 (Use of Personal Information) for how we use your personal information and Section 3 (Personal Information Sharing) for third parties with whom we share your personal information.
We collect certain personal information directly from you, such as when you fill out forms with a name or email address. We may also collect personal information about you from other sources, such as if we find your contact information on websites like, but not limited to, LinkedIn or we work with recruitment agencies who may provide contact information of people who may be interested in employment at DocuSign.
You have choices about whether you visit our Sites or provide personal information to us. For choices you may have, please see Section 5 (Your Choices) of this notice.
Personal Information We Collect from You.
We collect the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers and Contact Information, such as name, date of birth, government identification numbers, photo, email address, mailing address, and phone number.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as resume, CV, residency and work permit status, work history, professional background, work and personal references, and social media handle or LinkedIn profile.
- Educational information, such as educational history, qualifications, certifications, and skills.
- Data for diversity monitoring, where the collection of such data is allowed by law, such as veteran status, gender, race, ethnicity, and disabilities.
- Citizenship or immigration information, such as for visa purposes, and right to work information.
- On-premise location monitoring for security purposes, such as video surveillance when attending our premise for an interview.
- Other personal information you have chosen to voluntarily submit to us in connection with your application for employment, such as contact information of references, information disclosed in an interview, compensation history, and personal situation.
Your main choice for this type of personal information is simply not providing it, such as by not submitting a job application to DocuSign. For other choices you may have, please see Section 5 (Your Choices) of this notice.
Personal Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may collect personal information about you from others, such as:
- Third-Party Sources. Examples of third-party sources include employment screening agencies, background check agencies, recruiting agencies, service providers, former employers and/or schools and educational institutions, publicly available information on websites or social media (e.g., when applying through LinkedIn), and others where they are legally allowed to share your personal information with us. For example, if you register to be contacted by prospective employers on another website, the website may provide your personal information to us.
- Individuals Who Refer You. Other individuals may give us your personal information. For example, if a friend thinks you may be interested in a job at DocuSign, he or she will give us your contact details and resume.
- Combining Personal Information from Different Sources. We may combine the personal information we receive from other sources with personal information we collect from you and use it as described in this notice.
In general, we collect, use, store, and process your personal information to:
process your job application for employment;
manage your relationship with us;
evaluate you in the recruitment and hiring process, including to assess your eligibility for available positions at DocuSign;
contacting you (including by email) or others on your behalf about suitable job opportunities as they may arise;
monitor diversity and equal employment opportunities;
comply with legal obligations; and
analyze hire trends with aggregate and anonymous data.
Other Uses. We may combine the personal information we collect (“aggregate”) or remove pieces of personal information (“de-identify”) to limit or prevent identification of any individual to help with goals like research and recruiting. This notice does not apply to our use of such aggregated or de-identified information.
Lawful Basis for Processing Your Personal Information. If European data protection law applies and DocuSign acts as a controller, our lawful basis for collecting and using the personal information described in this notice will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect or use it.
We normally collect or use personal information from you or others where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to collect or retain personal information or may need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person. For example, our legitimate interests may be to:
- Retain personal information to comply with applicable laws and regulations for employment and work councils.
- Use personal information to facilitate communication with you and perform data analytics to ensure recruitment of appropriate job candidates and prospects in accordance of best recruitment practices.
- Manage applicants and conduct our recruitment processes efficiently and fairly.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided in Section 9 (How to Contact Us) of this notice.
We do not disclose your personal information to any third party in a manner that would be considered a sale under applicable laws.
We share personal information as follows:
- Service Providers. We share your personal information with other companies we use to support our recruitment processes. These companies provide services like talent acquisition and administration services, criminal background checks, and employment history checks. We have contracts with our service providers that address the safeguarding and proper use of your personal information.
- Affiliates. We share your personal information with affiliates under common ownership or control of DocuSign, Inc.
- Recruitment Agencies. We may share your personal information with recruitment agencies with whom you provided your personal information or make your personal information publicly accessible to recruitment agencies.
- Your Employer or Organization or Reference Checks. When you apply for a position at DocuSign, we may contact your previous or current employer to verify your employment history, or your references if provided by you.
- Public or Government Authorities. We may share your personal information to follow applicable law or to respond to legal process (like a subpoena). We also may share your personal information when there are threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of this notice or other agreements, or to protect the legal rights of third parties, including our employees, users, or the public. For more information, please review our Law Enforcement Guidelines (https://www.docusign.com/legal/law-enforcement).
- Business Transactions. We may share your personal information during a corporate transaction like a merger, or sale of our assets, or as part of the due diligence for such contemplated transactions. If a corporate transaction occurs, we will provide notification of any changes to control of your personal information, as well as choices you may have.
- Consent. We may share your personal information in other ways if you have asked us to do so or have given consent.
We keep your personal information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain personal information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws. Generally, this means DocuSign retains your personal information to comply with any retention or statutory limitations, and as needed for DocuSign’s recruitment processes, including to respond to recruitment inquiries. Where there are technical limitations that prevent deletion or anonymization, we safeguard personal information and limit active use of it.
This section describes many of the actions you can take to change or limit the collection, use or storage of your personal information.
- Application. You can access and review your job application. If any personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can make changes by emailing email@example.com.
- Recruiting Messages. You can opt out of email recruiting messages we send. You can opt out of these messages by clicking on the opt-out link in the email message. Please note that we may send you one message to confirm you want to opt-out.
- Complaints. We are committed to resolving valid complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your personal information. For questions or complaints regarding our data use practices or this notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may have certain rights related to your personal information, subject to local data protection laws. These rights may include:
- You can request the following information: how we collect and use your personal information and why; the categories of personal information involved; the categories of recipients of your personal information; how we received your personal information and its source; our business purpose for using your personal information; and how long we use or store your personal information or the manner in which we determine relevant retention periods.
- You have a right to correct your personal information.
- In certain situations, you can ask that we delete/erase or stop using your personal information (and object to use of your personal information) or export your personal information.
- At any time, you can request that we stop using your personal information for recruiting purposes. See Section 5 (Your Choices) of this notice for more information on your choices.
- You have a right to provide us with guidance on the use, storage, and deletion of your personal information after your death.
- You have a right to raise questions or complaints with your local data protection authority at any time.
We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity. You may authorize an agent to make a request to us on your behalf and we will verify the identity of your agent or authorized legal representative by either seeking confirmation from you or documents that establish the agent’s authorization to act on your behalf.
Please note your rights and choices vary depending upon your location. Certain personal information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law.
Transfers to the U.S. and Third Countries. We may transfer your personal information outside of your jurisdiction for further processing. DocuSign has adopted Binding Corporate Rules to facilitate the transfer of personal information from the EEA to DocuSign outside of the EEA.
DocuSign, Inc. is the data controller of personal information processed by DocuSign for the Sites. If you are located in the EEA, the legal representative of DocuSign, Inc. is DocuSign International (EMEA) Ltd., 5 Hanover Quay, Ground Floor Dublin 2, Republic of Ireland.
To keep your personal information safe, we use physical, electronic, and managerial tools. We apply these tools base on the sensitivity of the personal information we collect, use, and store, and the current state of technology. We protect your personal information through technical and organizational security measures to minimize risks associated with data loss, misuse, unauthorized access, and unauthorized disclosure and alteration.
We may change this notice from time to time. We will post any changes to this notice on this page. Each version of this notice is identified at the top of the page by its version date.
For questions or complaints regarding our use of your personal information or this notice, please contact us at email@example.com or mail us at DocuSign, Inc., Attention: Privacy Team, 221 Main Street, Suite 1550, San Francisco, CA 94105.